Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Escaping Ernesto


Been long time again and I am back now to write here. Been a pretty happening month until now. Moved out of Louisville last month and now I miss it here in VA. Well its hurricane season in US east coast. Ernesto threatened to become next Katrina, but lucky for all it turned out to be less than a storm. Every long weekend I am not supposed to be home, I need to travel out and not spared this time either. I have no clue how the hurricane and storms get such names, the latest being Florence today.

Was planning for a drive along the US's most travelled scenic drive of Blue Ridge Parkway but Ernesto again scared us of flash floods along the drive. So had to take a traditional US Hwy I81 to reach Gatlinburg. The closest city for Smokey Mountain, this city offers plenty of entertainment for all kind of people. I took off early in the morning to escape the mad rush to national park and spent some good time amidst the nature all alone. This picture here was taken early in the morning when rest of the crowd was still asleep in their log cabins. Sun was just out on sky to illuminate this small stream of water and I was so excited to get a best shot of this natures wonderful portrait. I was standing on couple of slippery boulders to get the best view and Voila!! this is just amazing. Thats when i realized i had slipped my leg and was falling into water. I was lucky to save my camera but nothing else of my clothes from top to bottom. I guess it all happened so that I can remember for my life.

The rest of the trip was pretty normal with a hike of 2-3 miles to Laurel falls and then driving along the scenic coves and mountains. The national park is home for more varieties of plants and flowers than any place in america. Unfortunately we did not come accross even a single bear. Also watched a old barn yard with a mill running on water powered non polluting machinery that might be 100 yrs old. Not surprised as I've seen similar ones still being used in villages of India.

So after three days when i return, the storm Ernesto had vanished to NYC and north east states while Florence began to form as bigger threat along the Atlantic. Hope I find another place to escape this weekend from the Florence...

2 Comments:

Blogger Abodh said...

nice! great that you have started posting again.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Sudeepa, nice one yaar.. keep posting :)

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home